By Hbiscardi | Created January 3rd, 2021 | Published January 3rd, 2021 | Updated January 3rd, 2021
Profile Cameo inlay on a Treasure box with hidden compartment. There are many plans on the web for the actual box. I made the box using traditional woodworking techniques. I did the inlay and secret compartment tray with the S.O.
Shaper Origin with 1/8" collet
10Pcs Nano Blue Coat End Mill CNC Router Bits
PROFILE SVR: 1)photograph your subject in profile with a white background.
2) Edit with Photoshop. Isolate the subjects profile with the lasso or magic wand, inverse the selection, then erase the background. Inverse the selection again. Convert to Grayscale using Image/Mode/Grayscale tab. Render the profile in black using the Enhance/Adjust lighting/levels...tab. Slide the black triangle all the way to the right. Draw an ellipse around the profile with no filler in the shape details. Save the file as a bitmap.
3) Open the bitmap file with Affinity Designer (you can use Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator). Export file as an SVG to your Shaper Origin.
4)There will be a Positive (koa) and Negative (mango in my project) to cut with the S.O. Size and place the profile file where you want it on the Negative. The grid function is handy for correct placement.
5) I started with a 0.8 mm Nano Blue Coat End Mill CNC Router Bit (Amazon $12) to get the fine detail of the profile. You'll need the 1/8" collet.
6)Negative (mango)or Pocket: Be sure to cut Outside the line for the Profile and Inside the line for the Oval. Spindle speed of 4 works well. Make many passes increasing the depth 1mm at a time. Use the "auto" function to allow the S.O. to cut the details. After you reach your final depth*, adjust the offset slightly to increase the width of cut. Remember, the direction of the offset will be opposite for the profile vs the oval. Check before you cut!! Change to a bigger bit to cut the rest of the pocket when you have made enough room for it. The S.O. display (blue line) will show you if your bit will cut into the profile or oval. You can raise the bit to avoid this. Clean up with a small chisel or xacto blade if necessary.
*allow the inlay to be a little proud, sand level during finishing.
7) Positive(koa) or inlay: Be sure to cut Inside the line for the Profile and Outside the line for the Oval. Use double stick tape (remember to clean the tape off the bits with mineral spirits!). Allow .004" for glue.
Take your time with 6 and 7. Think your cuts through and practice with aircut watching the blue line. The tolerance is very tight, be careful if you want to dry fit the inlay, it will be hard to remove!
Go slow and smooth. Let the Shaper Origin do the work.
8) I made the pockets for the secret compartment tray with the S.O. I used the on board design feature and grid.
There are no files with this project. Shaper Hub wouldn't let me upload without one so I added the secret compartment tray.