Vinyl records rack

By DavidMtp | Created January 3rd, 2021 | Published January 3rd, 2021 | Updated January 3rd, 2021

uploaded project imageuploaded project image
project image thumbnailproject image thumbnail
project image thumbnailproject image thumbnail
project image thumbnailproject image thumbnail
project image thumbnailproject image thumbnail
Here is my first real Shaper project! This was a request from my brother, who needed something to better store his current selection of vinyl records alongside his player. I've made this using the wood I had available, which was not much! a big piece of exotic wood (don't ask me which one!), and a small scrap piece of tainted black MDF. This is the result, and I'm quite happy with it! The Shaper Origin and Worstation are just amazing...

2 hr

Easy

16

Category

Furniture

Files included (5)
NameSize
out-Top_center_part_bottom.svg
15 kB
out-main_deck_top_face.svg
43 kB

BY-NC-SA 4.0 License


321mm x 249mm / 26mm thick hard wood for the main deck 2off 357mm x 80mm / 26mm thick hard wood for the sides 1off 321mm x 80mm / 26mm thick hard wood for the top part 350mm x 90mm / 10mm Thick black MDF
Shaper Origin Shaper Workstation 8mm diameter upcut bit chisels sand paper
Dimensions are just indicative, I've put mine, which were basically dictated by the dimensions of the wood I had. The only two dimensions which are "critical" are the available height in the frame: I have 315mm between the bottom of the grooves and the top part bottom face and it works great (I actually had to cut a 5mm deep pocket on the bottom face of the top part, as I made mistakes with my first measures! but it turned out nice at the end of the day...). The other is the depth of the bottom panel: 235mm is what I have to support the vinyls, and it works great. But this one is less important and can be adjusted to your liking. I used the built-in box joint plugin for the mortises and tenons of the frame, following SO's tutorial. Next time I'll cut a little bit deeper my mortises, to save some time and material at the sanding phase! I used Osmo oil for the finishing.