Clone your own glasses

By OlivierPiraux | Created April 18th, 2020 | Published April 18th, 2020 | Updated April 19th, 2020

uploaded project imageuploaded project image
project image thumbnailproject image thumbnail
project image thumbnailproject image thumbnail
project image thumbnailproject image thumbnail
project image thumbnailproject image thumbnail
The target of this project was to clone my current glasses to have at the end a new frame in wood but using the same glasses.

40 min

Advanced

29

Category

Decor

Files included (78)
NameSize
lunettes olivier ajouts.svg
721 B
IMG_7280.jpeg
1 MB

chestnut + oak epoxy glue Osmo oil
Shaper origin bit 6mm and 3mm Heat gun Sanding station (in my case a Festool RO90 fixed on my MFT work bank).
The objective of this project is to clone existing glasses in order to replace the plastic frame with a wooden frame while recovering the lenses and hinges on the old glasses. The first step is to take a photo of the frame and temples as parallel as possible. After importing into adobe illustrator, create a profile for the inside and outside of the frame. The easiest way to do this is to create half a profile (for one glass) and then duplicate it symmetrically. For the branches, a simple profile is enough, then just use a mirror effect to have a left and a right branch. Second step: reproduce the three profiles (frame, left branch and right branch). Third step: sanding to obtain thicknesses and curves similar to those of the old pair of glasses. Fourth step: recovery of the hinges on an old pair. Here, with a simple hot air gun heat a little the plastic surrounding the hinge to be recovered and thus reach the hinge embedded in the plastic. Possibly with a small hacksaw, shorten the metal parts to match the need. Fifth step: make openings in the branches and in the frame to be able to glue the hinges with epoxy glue. To do this, I made a cutout in a multiplex panel. This cutout was the opposite of the branch profile, so it is easy to position the branch and thus integrate the hinge part to be glued later. For the integration of the hinges in the main frame, I used self-adhesive tape to mark very clearly the reference positions for the holes needed for the temples. Sixth step: After gluing the hinges with epoxy glue, making the small oak finishing blocks. This is to hide the slight misalignment between the branches and the frame. These small blocks were created in adobe illustrator to complement the basic shape of the glasses. These small blocks also allowed me to adjust by simple sanding the opening angle of the temples. Seventh step: integration of the disassembled lenses on the old frame. Here as the frame is relatively thin, I decided to adjust the lenses slightly where necessary simply by using my Tormek grinding stone. Then I placed a few dots of epoxy glue to lock the lenses in the frame. Step eight: finishing using a little OSMO oil. I have attached all the pictures of the step by step process as well as the AI files. As a reminder, these files are adapted to my glasses but the method applies to yours. in french: L’objectif de ce projet est de cloner des lunettes existantes afin de remplacer le cadre en plastique par un cadre en bois tout en récupérant les verres et des charnières sur les anciennes lunettes. La première étape : prendre une photo de le plus parallèle possible du cadre et des branches. Après importation dans adobe illustrator, créer un profil pour l’intérieur et l’extérieur du cadre, le plus simple est de créer un demi profil (pour un verre) et ensuite le dupliquer par symétrie. Pour les branches, un simple profil suffit, ensuite il suffit d’utiliser un effet miroir pour disposer d’une branche gauche et une branche droite. Deuxième étape : reproduire les trois profils ( cadre, branche gauche et branche droite) Troisième étape : ponçage pour obtenir les épaisseurs et les courbes similaires à celles de l’ancienne paire de lunettes. Quatrième étape : récupération des charnières sur une ancienne paire. Ici, avec un simple canon à air chaud chauffer un peu le plastique entourant la charnière à récupérer et ainsi atteindre la charnière noyée dans le plastique. Eventuellement avec une petite scie à méteaux, raccourcir les parties métalliques pour correspondre au besoin. Cinquième étape : réalisation des ouvertures dans les branches et dans le cadre pour pouvoir coller à la colle epoxy les charnières. Pour ce faire, j’ai réalisé une découpe dans une panneau en multiplex. Cette découpe était l’inverse du profil des branche, ainsi il est facile de positionner la branche et ainsi y intégrer la partie de charnière à coller par la suite. Pour l’intégration des charnières dans le cadre principal, j’ai utilisé de la bande autocollante pour marque très clairement les positions de référence pour les trous nécessaires aux branches. Sixième étape : Après collage à la colle epoxy des charnières, réalisation des petits blocs de finition en chêne. Ceci afin de cacher le léger défaut d’alignement entre les branches et le cadre. Ces petits blocs ont été créés en adobe illustrator en complément de la forme de base des lunettes. Ces petits blocs m’ont également permit d’ajuster par simple ponçage l’angle d’ouverture des branches. Septième étape : intégration des verres démontés sur l’ancienne monture. Ici comme la monture est relativement fine, j’ai décidé d’ajuster légèrement là où nécessaire les verres simplement en utilisant ma pierre à meuler Tormek. Ensuite j’ai placé quelques points de colle epoxy pour bloquer les verres dans la monture. Huitième étape : finition en utilisant un peu d’huile OSMO. J’ai joint toutes les photos de la réalisation étape par étape ainsi que les fichier AI. Pour rappel ces fichiers sont adaptés à mes lunettes mais la méthode s’applique aux votres.

This project is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommerical - Share - Alike license